The NSTF Awards encourage and reward excellence in Scientific Research, Technological Innovation, Management and related activities, Capacity Building, Communication and Education thereby honouring and celebrating outstanding contributions to science, engineering, technology and innovation (SETI) since 1998, and in partnership with BHP Billiton since 2011.
Nominations for the prestigious 2014-15 NSTF-Billiton Awards are now open!
The scope of the awards have been changed to some extent this year. Some of the sponsors have changed, and adjustments have been made accordingly. The NSTF is making a special award for Photonics related research this year, in honour of the 2015 International Year of Light, as declared by UNESCO. The Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) category has been redefined and a new category, the NSTF-GreenMatter award introduced aimed at achieving environmental sustainability and the Green Economy. You can now submit nominations for an outstanding contribution to SETI from your favourite researchers (incl social), scientists, engineers, technologists, innovators, science communicators, research capacity builders, human capacity builders, organisation managers/leaders, and / or research managers. Study the Terms and Conditions accessible via this webpage, as well as the Awards categories in advance of submitting a nomination. The process consists of two stages:
- Deadline of first stage - 5 December 2014: Identify your candidate and register your nomination online through the Notice of Intent to Nominate (all fields are compulsory) before the close of business on this day. The information will be captured in the NSTF database and provides the basis for all further processing and communications relating to the nomination. The NSTF will acknowledge receipt by e-mail, and provide the Nomination forms for completion by the second and final deadline of Stage 2 of the nomination process. Please look out for this email, note the content carefully and respond to it as requested!
- Deadline of the second and final stage of the process - 6 March 2015: The completed nomination Form/s may be e-mailed to the NSTF at any time up to the closing date but must reach the NSTF before 12h00 on this day.
The processes that will follow the final deadline are:
Watch your mailbox for news...
- the announcement of the nominees through the Awards eNewsletter during April 2015 followed by;
- the announcement of the finalists during May 2015;
- the acknowledgement of finalists at the first NSTF Plenary meeting scheduled for 2015 around end of May or beginning of June; and then
- the announcement of the winners will take place at the prestigious Awards Gala Dinner with the Patron, the Minister of Science and Technology, planned for late June or beginning of July 2015.