The NSTF Awards encourage and reward excellence in Scientific Research, Technological Innovation, Management and related activities, Capacity Building, Communication and Education thereby honouring and celebrating outstanding contributions to science, engineering, technology and innovation (SETI) since 1998, and in partnership with BHP Billiton since 2011.
The deadline for nominations for the 2014-15 NSTF-BHP Billiton Awards for SOME of the categories has been extended to 6 February 2015!
Almost 160 nominees have been registered across 10 different categories, which again reflects an increase in interest from the past year. Although there are enough nominations to adjudicate, more participation is called for, from Businesses - Corporates and SMMEs - the Management and related activities category, as well as Non Governmental Organisations; including Non Profit Companies, Voluntary Associations, Trusts, Community Based Organisations, Public Benefit Organisations and organs of Civil Society; to ensure robust competition.
The scope of the Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) category has been redefined to recognise outstanding contributions to SETI which include contributions such as:
- Research, development and creative work undertaken on a systematic basis in order to increase the stock of knowledge, including knowledge of people, culture and society and the use of this stock of knowledge to devise new applications;
- Technology transfer activities associated with research and experimental development and contributing to the dissemination and application of scientific and technical knowledge; and
- Scientific and technical education and training.
For the Research leading to Innovation category for Businesses, both Corporate or SMMEs, the category recognises outstanding contributions to SET through research of an individual or team in an organisation that has led to an innovation in South Africa.
We call on the science community to identify champions in the Business and NGO community, and submit nominations by 6 February 2015 through a process that consists of two stages:
- Register your notice of an intent to nominate - 6 February 2015: Identify your candidate and register your nomination online through the Notice of Intent to Nominate (all fields are compulsory). The information will be captured in the NSTF database and provides the basis for all further processing and communications relating to the nomination. The NSTF will acknowledge receipt by e-mail, and provide the Nomination forms for completion by the second and final deadline of Stage 2 of the nomination process. Please look out for this email, note the content carefully and respond to it as requested!
- Deadline of the second and final stage of the process - 6 March 2015: The completed nomination Form/s may be e-mailed to the NSTF at any time up to the closing date but must reach the NSTF before 12h00 on this day.
The processes that will follow the final deadline are:
- the announcement of the nominees through the Awards eNewsletter during April 2015 followed by;
- the announcement of the finalists during May 2015;
- the acknowledgement of finalists on the day of the Awards Gala Dinner, 2 July 2015; and then
- the announcement of the winners will take place at the prestigious Awards Gala Dinner with the Patron, the Minister of Science and Technology, planned for 2 July 2015.
Watch your mailbox for news...