The NSTF Awards encourage and reward excellence in Scientific Research, Technological Innovation, Management and related activities, Capacity Building, Communication and Education thereby honouring and celebrating outstanding contributions to science, engineering, technology and innovation (SETI) since 1998, and in partnership with BHP Billiton since 2011.
Nominations closed on 6 March 2015 with resounding success that saw a steep increase of 25% in participation from last year! The NSTF are pleased to announce the 17th cohort of Awards Nominees for the year 2014/15. The process that will follow is:
- Announcement of the finalists during May 2015 through the Awards eNewsletter
- Acknowledgement of the finalists during the prestigious Awards Gala Dinner, 9 July 2015 in Gauteng
- Announcement and celebration of the winners at the prestigious Awards Gala Dinner with the Patron, the Minister of Science and Technology, 9 July 2015.
- Coverage of the Awards nationwide through the official Media Partners namely; Business Report (carried by Pretoria News, The Star, Cape Time and The Mercury) and Mail&Guardian newspapers, the latter includes online profiling, on Friday, 10 July 2015.
- Launch of the next round of activities of the NSTF Awards Share ‘n Dare programme with the new winners aimed at profiling the winners as role models amongst the Youth.
Latest activities: NSTF-BHP Billiton Awards Share ŉ Dare outreach programme
This programme profiles NSTF-BHP Billiton award winners as ambassadors and role models of SETI. In April, Prof Azzwindini Muronga of the University of Johannesburg Soweto Science Centre and Associate Professor of Physics of UJ will speak to KZN learners about the International Year of Light and Einstein's General Relativity Centenary, as well as a Public Talk in the evening: 'The Sky is Not the Limit: Unlocking the deep secrets of the Universe'.
Also, Prof Donald Cowan, Professor and Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences of the University of Pretoria will also speak to KZN learners on Microbial Ecology of Hot and Cold Desert Soils.
Click here to read more about these activities.